Compiled by Carl Merrill


photo courtesy of CDR Berry's
grandson, Fred Berry
(Click for larger image)

ftb-7-sm.jpg (9063 bytes)
Original configuration 1945
(Click for larger image)

The U.S.S. FRED T. BERRY (DD-858) was built by the Bethlehem Steel Co., San Pedro, California with her keel being laid on 16 July 1944. The ship was named after CDR. Fred Thomas Berry, USN, who was killed at sea in the crash of the U.S. Airship AKRON (ZRS-4) on 4 April 1933. Born on 23 November 1887, CDR. Berry graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in June 1910.

The FRED T.BERRY (DD-858) sailed from San Diego to San Francisco on 11 July 1945. Arriving in San Francisco, she was granted availability at the General Engineering and Dry-dock Co. from July 16 through August 29, 1945. On 6 August, CDR. N. J. Frank, USN, was relieved of command by CDR. C. C. Coley, USN. August 29 saw BERRY steaming for Pearl Harbor. Leaving Pearl Harbor in the company of U.S.S. GURKE (DD-783) on 20 October 1945, BERRY steamed toward Tokyo Bay. Upon arrival, both ships were assigned to the Fifth Fleet for duty.

On 15 November 1945, she escorted U.S.S. ROTANIA (AKA-108) and the U.S.S. BAYFIELD (APA -33) to Jinsen, Korea and returned to Nagoya, Japan on 24 November 1945. On 5 December, BERRY took the Flag aboard and, in the company of U.S.S. PIERCE (DD-753), escorted U.S.S. BOSTON (CA-69) from Wakayama to Nagoya, Japan. On 2 January 1946, Flag departed and BERRY sailed to Tsingtao, China (According to the FTB Website, History Addenda,  shows the personal logbook of Clarence Hood  of the “Early activities of the Berry”,  written by Al Truman and Clarence Hood, the Berry sank a Junk at the coordinates  38.09 North Latitude by 121.51 East Longitude on January 22,1946). Shortly after her arrival in Tsingtao, she departed for Jinsen, Korea to escort the U.S.S. BREMERTON (CA-130) back to Tsingtao. On 7 February BERRY departed to escort U.S.S. COLUMBUS (CA-74) to Shanghai. On 19 February BERRY, along with U.S.S. McCAFFERY (DD-860), U.S.S. HARWOOD (DD-861) and U.S.S. CATFISH (SS-339), cruised in the area before returning to Tsingtao. She subsequently operated in the area with other ships of the Pacific Fleet before leaving on 31 March to escort the U.S.S.GENERAL BUTNER (AP-113) to Taku, China.

The BERRY's whereabouts cannot be documented from April until the fall of 1946 when she departed San Diego for the Asiatic Station. During this cruise she trained with carriers in Hawaiian waters and completed a tour of occupation duty in the Far East where she visited Shanghai, China, Korea, Japan, Okinawa and Formosa. Returning to the States again on 21 February 1947, BERRY went into Bremerton Navy Yard for overhaul in May. See note from Vinne Crimaudo of the USS Norris at the end of this article!

In August, 1947, the BERRY was again assigned duty in the Western Pacific and, following training operations, departed for the Asiatic Station on 2 December. After visiting China, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Japan and Okinawa, the ship returned to San Diego on 7 August 1948.

Between 5 January and 15 May 1949, BERRY was at U.S. Naval Shipyard, Mare Island, California where she was converted to an anti-submarine warfare ship following the installation of extra underwater sound equipment and a hedgehog battery in place of Number 2 five-inch gun mount. Following completion of the overhaul, the ship conducted training exercises in the San Diego area before being designated to join the Atlantic Fleet. The ship departed San Diego on 25 August 1949 and arrived in Newport, Rhode Island on 11 September 1949. As a unit of the U. S. Atlantic Fleet, the ship participated in Second Fleet Cold Weather Operations in the Davis Straits, in special ASW exercises under COLD.DEVFOR and PROTEX and CARIDEX fleet exercises while visiting New York City, Key West, Florida and Bermuda.

On 4 March 1950 BERRY was reclassified as an Escort Destroyer and, shortly after the outbreak of hostilities in Korea, was ordered to temporary duty in the Mediterranean. She departed Newport on 5 July 1950, beginning, what was to be an around-the-world tour of duty. After a brief stop in Norfolk, Virginia, the ship made the Atlantic crossing to Gibraltar and reported to the Sixth Fleet. Upon arrival at Piraeus, Greece, the BERRY was unexpectedly ordered to the Far East. In the latter part of July, she proceeded eastward to Port Said, Egypt and passed through the Suez Canal and Red Sea. The ship stopped at Columbo, Ceylon before joining the Seventh Fleet in the Pacific Theater.

Between September and October, the ship was assigned to Formosa Patrol. From the beginning of November until 5 February 1951, the ship operated with Task Force 77 off the coast of Korea in support of the United Nations Ground Forces. In December the ship accompanied the U.S.S. MISSOURI (BB-63) on one of her trips to Hungnam to assist in the evacuation on the Northern area.

In February of 1951, the BERRY was detached from the Seventh Fleet and proceeded to Newport, Rhode Island via the Panama Canal. After entering the Boston Naval Shipyard, the ship departed in July and completed refresher training at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba where it participated in LAMFLEX, CONVEX and ASDEX. (Webmaster's Note: It is assumed that the BERRY joined DESRON 24 at this time. Other ships in DESRON 24 were: U.S.S. LLOYD THOMAS [DDE-764], U.S.S. KEPPLER [DDE-765], U.S.S. NORRIS [DDE-859], U.S.S. McCAFFERY [DDE-860] and U.S.S. HARWOOD [DDE861].)

On 19 April 1952 the ship left Newport for a tour of duty in the Mediterranean, making visits to Tangiers, Marsielles, Golfe Juan, Naples and Gibralter before returning to Newport on 27 June. During the fall of 1952, the BERRY took part in NATO exercise MAINBRACE and visited Firth of Forth, Scotland and Southend-on-the-Sea, England.

On 3 February 1953, the ship departed Newport for another tour with the Sixth Fleet in the Mediterranean where it visited Golfe Juan, Naples and Bougie. During this period, the BERRY participated in exercise RENDEZVOUS, returning to the United States in April.

ftb55-sm.jpg (10098 bytes)
As configured 1955
(Click for larger image)

desron24-sm.jpg (16443 bytes)
DESRON 24 at Guantanamo Bay
during Springboard 55
(Click for larger image)

During the summer of 1953, the ship underwent overhaul at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard. Upon completion, it underwent refresher training at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba that ended on 30 October 1953.

On 5 January 1954 the BERRY left Newport on a third tour with the Sixth Fleet. While in the Mediterranean, stops were made at Lisbon, Palermo, Augusta Bay, Izmir, Phaleron, Naples, Taranto, Alicente, San Remo, Nice and Genoa. She returned to Newport on 26 May 1954.

In June of 1954, BERRY was ordered to report to COMANTISUBLANT and, as a unit of a Hunter Killer Group, she participated in LANTFLEX 54 AND Springboard 55. During this latter cruise, she visited Kingston, San Juan and St. Thomas, Virgin Islands.

BERRY departed Newport in early May 1955 and sailed to Lisbon, Portugal before returning in June, while participating in allied exercises enroute. The BERRY conducted Hunter Killer Operations in Narragansett Bay preceding the regular overhaul period at Brooklyn Naval Shipyard, which began on 10 January 1956. Leaving the yard in mid-April, she sailed for Guantanamo Bay for refresher training. Upon completion of refresher training, she returned to Newport on 20 June for a period of leave and upkeep prior to departure with Midshipmen Practice Squadron Cruise BAKER.

Leaving Newport on 7 July 1956, the BERRY embarked midshipmen in Norfolk, and on 9 July, sailed with other ships of the Midshipmen Practice Squadron. After eight weeks of training exercises and visits to Barcelona, Spain; Greenock, Scotland and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, she disembarked midshipmen at Norfolk and returned to Newport on 1 September 1956.

During the remainder of 1956, the ship conducted exercises in the vicinity of Narragansett Bay, and on 4 January 1957, sailed for South America for training exercises with the navies of Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay. After returning in March, the ship operated in the Newport area taking part in CARIBEX and SLAMEX before departing in August to join the Sixth Fleet.

Participating in fleet exercises and patrolling the Eastern Mediterranean occupied most of the first two months of the cruise; however, the ship did visit Naples, Athens, Rhodes and other ports before returning to Newport in December.

In February and March of 1958, the BERRY visited San Juan, Puerto Rico and Ciudad Trujillo, Dominican Republic while participating in CARIBEX. In May, the ship entered Boston Naval Shipyard for a regular overhaul, which was completed in August. Upon completion of her refresher training at Guantanamo Bay, the ship, a member of DESRON 24 joined Task Group Bravo, which concentrated on the development of Hunter-Killer tactics, doctrine and equipment. As a member of Task Group Bravo, the ship participated in Hunter-Killer operations until June of 1959 when she took part in a Midshipman Practice Cruise. During this cruise, the ship visited Quebec and participated in RIPTIDE.

Upon completion of the Midshipman Practice Cruise, Task Group Bravo resumed anti-submarine operations off the East Coast of the United States. In February of 1960, BERRY participated in SPRINGBOARD and while in the Caribbean, visited San Juan, Puerto Rico and St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands before returning to Newport in March.

In June 1960, CDR. George H. Sharp relieved CDR. Melvin. R. Downes as Commanding Officer of the BERRY and shortly thereafter, BERRY departed on another Midshipman Practice Cruise to the Mediterranean. DESRON 24 escorted the aircraft carrier U.S.S. VALLEY FORGE (CVS-45) throughout the duration of this cruise and took part in various Sixth Fleet exercises and visited ports in Spain, France and Italy. On the return trip DESRON 24 joined the carrier U.S.S. FORRESTAL (CVA-59) to shadow a Russian convoy bound for Cuba. The ship returned to Newport on 30 August after debarking the midshipmen at Norfolk.

During the fall of 1960, Task Group Bravo resumed Hunter-Killer operations and participated in SLAMEX. In February and March of 1961, BERRY participated in LANTPHIBEX and Springboard while visiting San Juan, Puerto Rico and St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands. During the period 1960 and 1961 BERRY received the "A" for ASW excellence.

ftblast-sm.jpg (9793 bytes)
After FRAM II overhaul
(Click for larger image)

In March of 1961 the BERRY entered the Boston Naval Shipyard to undergo a seven month FRAM II overhaul. Upon completion of the overhaul, the BERRY returned to serve with Atlantic Fleet. From December 1961 to February 1962 she underwent refresher training at Guantanamo Bay. During March, she participated in evaluation of special anti-submarine tactics. Also in March, CDR. E. L. Burgess relieved CDR. Sharp as Commanding Officer of the BERRY.

In May of 1962, the BERRY participated in Project Mercury. While on Project Mercury she visited Bermuda for several days. In June she began another Midshipman Training Cruise, spending most of the ensuing six weeks in ASW exercises in the Atlantic.

At the beginning of fiscal year "62," the U.S.S. FRED T. BERRY was designated a General Purpose Destroyer.

In September of 1962, she departed for a seven-month tour of duty with the Sixth Fleet. Again with the Sixth Fleet, the ship participated in fleet exercises and patrol duty. During October and November she was on alert as a result of the Cuban Crisis that fall. In 1962 she visited Souba Bay, Izmir, Athens, Beaulieu, Salerno, Messina and Golfe Juan. Christmas was spent at Naples, and New Years was spent at La Spezia, Italy.

After a visit to Beirut, Lebanon, the BERRY passed through the Suez Canal on 17 January 1963 and reported to Commander, Middle East Force for duty. During the following six weeks she visited Nassawa, Ethiopia where she participated in ceremonies witnessed by Emperor Haile Salaasie as well as the British Protectorate of Aden, Bahrain, Ras Tannura Aabu Nu Air, and Jidda, Saudi Arabia. After being relieved of her Middle East duties the BERRY once again passed through the Suez Canal and, after an independent crossing of the Mediterranean and Atlantic Ocean, with stops at Rota, Spain and the Azores, returned to Newport on the 1 April 1963.

April and May were spent in Newport with the ship participating in a number of local operations. On the 4 June she embarked twenty-one midshipmen and joined Task Group 83.4 for seven weeks of ASW operations. During this cruise, the ship visited Bermuda and Halifax. While in Halifax, CDR. F. B. Shrake relieved CDR. Burgess as Commanding Officer. Under Commander Shrake, the BERRY returned to Newport for a brief upkeep period before participating in ASW exercises with Task Group 8l.0 during the month of August. While on this cruise, the ship visited Bermuda again.

On 9 September 1963, the BERRY left Newport for Norfolk's ASW Tactical School and further ASW exercises with Task Group 81.0. During October and November additional ASW exercises were conducted, this time with Task Group 83.4. On 16 November, the BERRY returned to her homeport for upkeep, where her crew celebrated the holidays.

In January 1964, after the holiday period, the ship departed Newport to participate in Operation Springboard exercises in the Caribbean. Ports in Puerto Rico and Trinidad were visited prior to completion of the Springboard exercises.

The BERRY returned to Newport in late February with the command attention directed towards preparation for deployment to the Sixth Fleet. In April the BERRY received a tender overhaul, culminating the preparations for deployment on 29 April for a four month Mediterranean cruise. The ship initially participated in NATO exercises with units of the French and Italian Navies. After twenty-three days at sea, the ship arrived in Naples, Italy for a short visit. On departing Naples, visits were made to San Remo for a tender overhaul and then to Athens, Greece.

Departing Athens on 28 June, the BERRY was assigned to COMIDEASTFOR. During this deployment, visits were made to Port Sudan, Aden Protectorate, Mombasa, Kenya and Diego Suarez, Malagasy Republic. Departing the Middle East Force on 11 August, the BERRY returned to the Mediterranean and rejoined units of Destroyer Squadron 10 for transit to Newport.

Arriving in Newport on 27 August 1964, preparations for overhaul at the Boston Naval Shipyard were initiated. During the pre-overhaul tender availability, RADM Charles K. Duncan, USN, COMDESLANT presented CDR F. B. Shrake with the Battle Efficiency "E" award for the fiscal year 1964. Admiral Duncan also presented Departmental Excellency Awards to the Operations, Weapons and Engineering Departments. The Excellence Award received by the Engineering Department was the third consecutive award. Upon completion of the tender availability and an INSURV Inspection, the BERRY departed Newport on 7 October and proceeded to Boston for a three-month overhaul.

During 1965 BERRY conducted routine training cruises off the East Coast and spent a month off Florida for ASW exercises as well as a month in the area of the Virgin Islands engaging in firing practice. During 1965 the ship visited Nassau. Key West, Guantanamo Bay and Jamaica. During one of her cruises the BERRY provided surveillance over a Russian trawler off the East Coast, a task she had done before. Late in 1960 the BERRY sailed to Panama, Guatemala, Jamaica, Venezuela and Puerto Rico, arriving back in Newport on 1 November 1965.

In January 1966, BERRY began her second round-the-world cruise with a deployment to the Far East, serving with the Seventh Fleet in the Vietnam area. The ship departed Newport and traveled through the Panama Canal and made stops in San Diego and Pearl Harbor on its way to Taiwan. During this cruise, the ship spent time in the South China Sea and Gulf of Tonkin doing escort duty for the USS HANCOCK (CVA-19), USS ENTERPRISE (CVN-65) and USS ORISKANY (CVA-34). The Berry entered the Vietnam combat zone for the first time on March 10th, she was there to provide naval gunfire support for the allied ground forces in the Mekong and Saigon River Delta areas of South Vietnam. Interestingly, after the first several missions (where more than 246 rounds were fired from the 5"-38 guns in actual wartime conditions) some of the barrels cracked on March 21st. The Berry then joined the Hancock on March 25th and stayed with her till the 31st of March when we went to Subic Bay for barrel replacement. There were more Gun Fire Support missions after the new barrels were installed. After returning to duty station and completing the mission, BERRY visited Hong Kong and Yokosuka prior to her return to Newport. Her return route back took her through the Suez Canal where she visited many ports in the Near East and Mediterranean before crossing the Atlantic and arriving home in August 1966. During this deployment many of the crew became "Shellbacks" and "Far East Travelers."

Click here to see USN cruise report

Click here to see USN 1966 activity report

Click here to see fire mission from National Archives 


From May to October 1967, the BERRY joined the Sixth Fleet in the Mediterranean and provided rescue destroyer and escort duties for several carriers. On this tour the ship became involved in the Israeli war after The USS Liberty was attacked and damaged by the Israeli Air Force. The ship took Admiral Kidd out to the Liberty to conduct an investigation. (I can add, while delivering Admiral Kidd to the USS Liberty one night previous as we passed Sicily we observed MT. Etna erupting, the lava flow was visible. Quite a sight. As we reached the USS Liberty I remember it was shortly after daybreak and it was in extensive fog. I recall seeing the bodies of fallen sailors wrapped in white sheets on deck.  Frank LaPenta STG3).  '65-'68Berry also distinguished herself in joining the USS Davis in holding down a Russian Foxtrot class submarine for 105 hours and was rewarded with liberty in Palma Majorca. The ship also hosted two groups of midshipmen and participated in major NATO exercise Eager Beaver. The ship visited the Canary Islands and Virgin Islands on its way back to Newport.

From January to March 1968, the BERRY provided services to POLARIS submarines undergoing shakedown training and missile firings at Port Canaveral, Florida. During this period the ship assisted the United Kingdom submarine RESOLUTION to successfully complete the first ballistic missile firing for a British submarine. BERRY was one of several destroyers monitoring Polaris missile tests off the coast of Florida. Upon completion of these tests, the BERRY returned to Boston Naval Shipyard for a major overhaul.

Upon completion of the overhaul, the BERRY sailed to Guantanamo Bay for six-week refresher training. On 14 January 1969 the ship departed Newport for a five-month deployment with the Sixth Fleet in the Mediterranean. The ship experienced an extremely rough crossing of the Atlantic and docked at Rota, Spain, eleven days after leaving Newport, to undergo turn-over with the U.S.S. DYESS (DD-880). The ship then sailed for Naples, Italy for three days of tender service to repair damages received during the trip. After repairs were completed, the ship traveled to Barcelona, Spain for ten days of liberty and upkeep. BERRY departed Barcelona to conduct Poop Deck, a joint United States and Spanish exercise providing training in simulated air attacks against land forces while protecting our own forces from the threat of air and submarine attacks. Upon completion of Poop Deck, the ship sailed with other members of Task Group 60.1 to the French Riviera for rest and relaxation.

After a ten-day rest period in Golfe Juan, BERRY was again underway, this time to participate in exercise NATIONAL WEEK II. This operation was designed to train the Sixth Fleet forces in conducting surface warfare by locating, tracking and, at the start of hostilities, destroying enemy surface vessels. For the purpose of the exercise, four U.S. Navy ships painted their gun mounts red and acted as enemy guided missile destroyers. BERRY played an active part in the exercise as she intercepted U.S.S. COYINGHAM (DDG-17), designated as an enemy ship, transiting the Straits of Messina. Although COYINGHAM attempted to evade detection, by steaming through heavy seas at flank speeds, BERRY maintained the pace and kept contact with the "enemy," a close five hundred yards astern. The result of the BERRY's detection and pursuit was the destruction of COYINGHAM by planes from U.S.S. SHANGRI-LA (CVS-38).

At the end of National Week II BERRY sailed to Naples, Italy for a two week tender availability with the U.S.S. TIDEWATER (AD-31). Upon completion of TAV, the ship proceeded to Greece to visit Athens and Piraeus.

BERRY was underway again, for sustained operations, on 11 April to participate in the NATO exercise Dawn Patrol "69." This exercise was a test of the ability of NATO forces to respond to a simulated increase in world tensions that might culminate in general war. The early stages of the exercise consisted of free play activity in an environment of air, surface and submarine threats. BERRY was a participant in the initial conflict in Dawn Patrol "69" which ignited the "wartime" hostilities. Operating as a detached unit, in company with Italian destroyer INDOMNITO, BERRY detected, and held contact with an unidentified submarine. Hostilities commenced when the submarine fired on INDOMNITO. Quick and effective reaction on the part of BERRY and INDOMNITO put an end to the submarine's role in this simulated war.

At the end of Dawn Patrol, BERRY sailed into Naples harbor. From Naples she proceeded to Barcelona, Spain for a second visit and after seven days, departed the Mediterranean, turning over her Sixth Fleet duties to her sister ship U.S.S. NORRIS (DD-859). BERRY arrived in her homeport of Newport, Rhode Island on 31 May 1969.

After leave, upkeep and tender availability, BERRY left Newport on 14 July 1969 to change her homeport to Norfolk, Virginia. She was detached from DESRON 10 and attached to DESRON 2 and DESDIV 22.

From 21 July to 10 August, BERRY was at sea, combining ASW and type training with HUK operations in the Virginia Capes area. From 10 August to 22 August BERRY was in the Caribbean, participating in RIMEX 1-70 and other exercises. She was assigned plane guard, ASW screen ship and host ship for various pieces of target equipment used in gunfire exercises. For a brief period of time the ship played the role of an enemy surface raider whose assignment was to penetrate the defenses of the U.S. Navy forces. BERRY carried out her task as a surface raider with great success.

On 11 August, while on the way to Roosevelt Roads, the ship affected the rescue of the crew of a downed Marine helicopter. On 15 August, CDR Maurice J. Shine assumed the duties of Captain of the U.S.S. FRED T. BERRY (DD-858).

From 26 August to 31 December 1969, the ship had only two underway days and stayed in Norfolk the rest of the time. 31 October and 18 December saw underway training and on 18 December she conducted a burial at sea for the late Edgar E. Martin, DC1, USN (Retired). After returning from this assignment BERRY stayed in port for the rest of the year while her crew enjoyed the holiday leave period.

Throughout the entire second half of 1969, due primarily to Department of Defense imposed personnel reduction, BERRY was plagued with manning problems. From 1 October through 1 December the ship was in a C-4 (non-operational) status, due to insufficient qualified Machinist Mates on board. At the end of the year there were enough Machinist Mates aboard for port and starboard underway watch sections in the engine rooms. BERRY was insufficiently manned, at different times, by Boatswain's Mates, Fire Control Technicians, Gunners Mates and Electronics Technicians. A shipmate and his brother went aboard her in the late 1960's when she was in Norfolk. They talked to several members of the engineering division and were told the ship would soon be decommissioned, partly as a result of damage to her stern. The U.S.S. FRED T. BERRY (DD-858) was decommissioned in September 1970.

BERRY was turned over to INACTSHIPFACNORVA on 15 September 1970 and berthed at Pier 13, North St. Helena, NAVSHIPYDNORVA. Her next movement was to be transferred to an assignment as a DD type target hull for use in PROJECT D/S 580 (An investigation of ship vulnerability). This is in preparation for disposal by sinking. On 17 March 1972, the Naval Research and Development Center accepted custody of the ex-FRED T. BERRY (DD-858).

On 14 May 1972 the BERRY was sunk for a man-made reef off Key West, Florida in the Straits of Florida. She was scuttled at 142352Z May 1972, in fifty-five fathoms of water at 24 degrees 27.8 minutes N3, 81 degrees 33.3 minutes W8 after a successful underwater explosive experiment in connection with CNO PROJ D/S 580.

dead-dd858.jpg (38517 bytes)

map courtesy Dick Shanower

Several shipmates have written and commented on the fact that there was a 4 man submersible that was fouled in her rigging where two died. One shipmate remarked about seeing a video reporting this. He said it was eerie to see the number, 858, come into view on the screen. It is reported that the son of Mr. Link, of Link Flight Simulation Systems, was one of those losing his life in that mishap.

She hated submarines with a passion, as she did when she was fully active. Even in death, it seems she still hated them.



Text Box: This received from Vinnie Crimaudo S 1/c USS Norris squadron/shipmate.

Perhaps I can fill in some of the missing gaps of 1946/47. I boarded the Norris DD859 at Tsingtao, China at the end of April or early May 1946. We had just come from the states on board the APA31 USS Monrovia and there were about 1000 of us including two marine detachments. I guess we were the replacements for the DD858-59-60 &61. The four ships were a squadron and we cruised the china coast doing mail runs to Korea, Jinsin, Hong Kong & Shanghai. The four ships did several fleet exercises with submarines & the carrier Princeton. We were assigned screen and downed pilots pick up for the carrier. Sometime between Dec 46 & Feb 47 we were sent to Korea and started policing the area between main land China and Korea and were stopping vessels delivering contraband to Korea. Our port of call in Korea was Pusan. The four ships left the China Sea sometime in early March for stateside. We stopped at Guam, Hawaii and then into San Diego around June 47. August of 47 the four ships then went to Bremerton Washington for dry-dock and overhaul. The ships left Bremerton sometime around end of October for west coast duty stopping in Vancouver, British Columbia, San Francisco and San Diego. I was discharged in Dec 47 and if my memory is right the ships went back to Tsingtao. I hope this fills in the gap of 46-47      Vinnie


Back to home